Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Anodized Aluminum ... another way to add color!

I forgot how much I enjoy visiting the blog of Maria Whetman.  I first became familiar with Maria's work when she joined the Painting with Fire Ning.  She's the real deal!  Her work is not only amazing, but her career as an educator spills over onto the pages of her blog.  It's like taking a workshop at no expense!  

What I stumbled upon recently on Maria's blog was an article about anodized aluminum. About 15 years ago I was introduced to this stuff at a class I was taking with Nick Barnes at the Art League School in Alexandria, VA.  The class focused on cold connections. I worked with this colorful metal for for a year or two but strayed.  But, I have a renewed interest!  Some of you know this colorful metal from the wonderful work of Kerry Bogert.  Yeah, that's the stuff we're talkin' about!  

Maria's blog profiled a recent workshop with visiting artist Lindsey Mann, which was hosted by Plymouth College of Art, where Maria teaches jewelry and silversmithing.  After seeing Lindsey's work, I knew I had to buy her book!  It arrived today and is amazing!  Absolutely!  

Lindsey's Book
One of the things that Maria points out in her blog post is that you can buy sheets of anodized aluminum.  This means that you don't need to create the colored aluminum but can get started right away with the decorating!  Now, remember, I just got the book so I'm not giving a review here, but there are some very unique projects in the book that inspire the imagination.  Some of the things that Lindsey covers is silk screening, roller printing, texturizing, stamping, etc.  


If you've hesitated to try torch-fired enamel, anodized aluminum might be a fun alternative! I know I'll be digging out my anodized aluminum from it's hiding spot! 

But just for fun, let me ask you, do you have any experience with anodized aluminum?  Does it appeal to you?  What do you think about the intensity of the color? Looking forward to hearing from you!

5 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Gosh, that's bright happy stuff. No experience myself but a friend of mine used it extensively quite a few years ago to make small scale sculpture. She loved working with it.

Maryanne said...

I love anodized aluminum! I worked with if for the first time this summer in a workshop. I found some 3x3 sheets online and I've got 3 different colors sitting on my table waiting for me to get to it. I'm interested in the book you mentioned and I'm going to check it out. I found it an easy material to work with and I love using it with other metals.

In the Light of the Moon said...

Gosh...this looks really cool!! xoxo

Barbara Lewis said...

Thanks for visiting LeAnn, Maryanne and Cat! When I was working with anodized aluminum I tried to rough it up a bit so that it didn't look so contemporary. A lot of times I would sand the edges. But I love the look of Lindsey's work. The book is great. I highly recommend it!

Sarah said...

I have not yet tried to work with anodized aluminum but the results are incredible. It looks like another creative medium I'll have to experiment with.