Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Belle Armoire Jewelry, Winter 2011



Even though my article and jewelry in the Winter 2011 Issue of BAJ isn't about torch-fired enamel, it's still about heat.  In fact, the technique used in "A Day at the Circus" ceramic pieces in BAJ is also used in my torch-fired enamel.  It involves the use of overglaze enamels, also known as china paints.  You may be more familiar with them on your grandmother's hand-painted china, from which she served tea and finger sandwiches ... one and the same!  But, boy does it look different.



I  also teach you how to use overglaze enamels in one of the projects in my book, Torch-Fired Enamel Jewelry: a Workshop in Painting with Fire, due for release in early August 2011.  With overglaze enamels you can paint a replica of the Mona Lisa or dots and dashes ... depends on your skill level ... I'm definitely with the dots-and-dashes!  The BAJ article is all about buying inexpensive, bland beads and jazzing them up to make them your own.

This is a great issue of BAJ, one that I share with some great artists ... I'm in very good company. :-)

11 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

I am all about the jazz! I can't wait to see this issue as so many good friends are in it. And your book! Swoon! Can't wait. I will definitely have to take a class with you to get over my arsonphobia (fear of fire!).
Enjoy the day!
Erin

beautifullybrokenme said...

Ooooo - I can't wait to get my issue! I'm looking forward to learning more about the china glazes. Congrats!

:-) Molly

stregata said...

Congrats on being in this issue - I can't wait to get my hands on it and find out about the dots-and-dashes. I have been asking myself: how did she do that??? since I saw it on some of the pieces you have fired.

Mellisa said...

I need to make a bookstore trip soon so I can check out the issue, the photo looks amazing!

romantic decay said...

I just picked up the magazine, can't wait to sit down and read it. August 2011? So far away I have many questions.

Judy said...

I so look forward to your book, I am so excited for you, it is such a great accomplishment.
Congrats on the Belle Armoire issuse I am off the Barnes & Noble this evening, can't wait to get it!

sharon said...

Congrat's on your fabulous article Barbara....your pieces are amazing as always!

Barbara Lewis said...

Thank you guys for visiting ... I appreciate the encouragement a lot!

Pretty Things said...

This was a PARTICULARLY good issue!

Diane said...

Congratulations Barbara! It is a piece of jewelry with many beautiful colors, which I love! I do look forward to learning more about the technique in your book =)

Laura Twiford said...

Hi Barbara, company left so i'm trying to catchup a little with blogs today! I can't wait to go to Salisbury tomorrow to B&N and finally get this issue! Congratulations on your article!