Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Advanced Workshop

Yesterday I had a great Advanced Workshop at my home with three ladies who had taken the Painting with Fire Workshop before. One of them drove 3.5 hours! I don't know how she did it. I'm sure Patricia was exhausted going home because we packed so much into the day.

Air conditioning was to have been already installed in my studio, but with the heat wave we've had, it's been all the crews could do to keep up with failed units. The a/c comes Tuesday, of course. So, we started off in my studio to do some of the metal work. We etched, we punched discs with the Swanstrom disc cutter, we dapped, we hydraulic die pressed, we roll milled ... We Were Hot! ... Physically!

Back to the air conditioning ... ahhh! Here are two of the ladies, whom I interrupted from their work for a photo.




Throughout the day, we worked with liquid enamel, millefiori, graphite on top of previously fired enamel, sgraffito, fused silver onto copper, stencils, painting with ceramic overglazes (china paints), and clear liquid enamel that had been tinted with ceramic pigments.

Here's some of the work!









A big thanks to the ladies for coming to play in my sandbox ... and there were very "few" injuries!





14 comments:

stregata said...

Looks like it was a hot workshop - in terms of fabulous, I mean! I sure wish I could come play in your studio, Barbara!! A rolling mill - sigh!
And the results of the ladies work looks awesome!

romantic decay said...

Very cool results:)

Christine said...

Oh that looks like it was SO much fun! I hope I can take another workshop with you soon!

mairedodd said...

man, i want in on that sandbox!! :0) glad your a/c is coming... it is hard to keep working in conditions such as these... beautiful work by the students - says much for the teacher... and am very curious what the teacher is doing for her book!!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Awesome looking work! Do you plan on ever coming out in the Midwest for a class???? Yes, any more news about your book?

Anonymous said...

oh, how much fun!!!
My air conditioning just went out for the entire house!! My studio is the only cool room in the house (in basement)
J

Cindy said...

Advanced, I'd say! Just look at those incredible pieces...sure blows me away! And your house makes a beautiful place for a workshop, btw!
Cindy

steufel said...

The results are beautiful - I wish I could attend a workshop at your place. Ever thought about moving to Germany:-) ?

Unknown said...

Barbara such a beautiful Studio! I want to come to your house too! You sure are a woman brimming with alot of talent!! Im so impressed. The focals and pieces you made are really wonderful.

Unknown said...

Yes Id like to come over to the *dark side lol! Ive in fact got all of the tools! My Cousin is in Maryland is that where you are? Bloomin moved here to Texas (why oh why lol) Where are you and all?

Lori P said...

How beautiful! Looks like tons of fun.

Maria said...

GREAT pieces! Sounds like such a fun class.

Barbara Lewis said...

Thanks to you all for your encouragement. Thank goodness I got a/c because today it was 107F in Maryland!!!

Diane said...

Barbara...All of that in one day! I so wish you were close by, as I would come over in a wink!